After much wait, the New generation Mahindra Thar has been unveiled in India. As per the Company, in its all-new avatar, the Thar is a quantum leap in terms of performance, everyday comfort & convenience, technology and safety, as it stays true to its core promise of unmatched off-roading capability and builds on its iconic design.
Unveiling the All-New Thar, Dr. Pawan Goenka, MD & CEO, M&M Ltd said, “Today, with the unveil of the All-New Thar, we rewrite history once again. The All-New Thar is firmly rooted in our rich automotive heritage and upholds the Mahindra DNA in its purest form. We are proud of our authentic SUV legacy that has been guarding the freedom of this nation by serving the armed forces since the 1950s, while simultaneously becoming the spirit of adventure and a lifestyle icon. The All-New Thar is a dynamic expression of fun, freedom and independence, and is geared up for its next adventure”.
Feature Highlights of the New Thar:
- The Thar has a 650 mm water wading capability.
- The Thar is based on the third-gen Mahindra platform, but with a wider track.
- It will come with two engine options - an all-new 2.0 L mStallion petrol engine that makes 150 hp of power and 320 Nm of torque and a Mahindra's mHawk diesel engine that 130 hp of power and 320 Nm of torque.
- Transmission options will include a six-speed manual and a six-speed torque converter automatic, along with a 4X4 transfer box as standard across trims.
- The cabin of the new Thar has been completely redone and now gets improved seats with washable upholstery, new 7 inch touchscreen infotainment system with Drizzle resistant (IP54 Standard) dashboard switches and first-in-class 'adventure stats' with details like G-monitor, compass, wheel angle, torque, etc, 3.5 Inch TFT colour instrument cluster, roof-mounted speakers, steering wheel-mounted controls for audio/phone and a 50:50 split setup for the rear seats.
- The Thar will come in six colour options – Red Rage, Mystic Copper, Galaxy Grey, Napoli Black, Rocky Beige, and Aquamarine.
- LED Daytime Running Lamps and LED Taillamps
- Tilt Adjustable Steering Wheel
- Height Adjustable Driver Seat with Adjustable Lumbar Support
- One-Touch Tip & Slide Mechanism on the Co-Driver Seat
- Cruise Control
- The new Thar will broadly come in two trims - AX series and LX series. The AX (adventure series) will be meant more for off-road usage and the LX (lifestyle series) will be more for city usage.
- All-new Roof options: A Hard Top, a first-in-class Convertible Top and an optional Soft Top
- All-new Seating options: 4 front-facing seats & 2+4 side-facing seats.
- The unladen ground clearance of the 2020 Mahindra Thar is 226 mm.
- The Safety Feature list of the New Thar includes dual front airbags, ABS, EBD, reverse parking sensors, speed alert system, electronic stability programme with roll-over mitigation, hill-hold assist, hill descent control, reverse parking camera, tyre pressure monitoring system, tyre direction monitoring system, etc. dual airbags, ABS with EBD, ESP with rollover mitigation, hill hold, hill descent control, built-in roll cage, three-point seatbelts, ISOFIX mounts on the rear seats.
- It gets brake locking differential up front and mechanical locking differential on the rear axle.
- The Thar rides on new 255/65 R18 all-terrain tyres. The branding on the off-road-spec CEAT tyres are marked in white.
- Class-leading approach (41.8 deg), departure (36.8 deg) & ramp over (27 deg) angles.
- The serial number stamp is present at the front passenger side also has the name ‘Thar’ embossed on it with ‘Made in India’ badging. The Thar Branding is present on 11 Different locations on the SUV.
According to Rajesh Jejurikar, Executive Director, Auto & Farm Sectors, M&M Ltd., “The All-New Thar will enhance the appeal of a brand that is already a cult, to a wider set of consumers. It will target people who seek extraordinary journeys and wish to Explore the Impossible. The All-new Thar will be launched on 2nd October, 2020 which is also our Founders Day”
Veejay Nakra, CEO, Automotive Division, M&M Ltd. said, “The Thar has represented the spirit of freedom, thrill and fun-to-drive character that few other vehicles can match. With the All-New Thar, we aim to protect this legacy with superior performance both on and off the tarmac, advanced technology features, excellent safety and everyday ride comfort, all adding to the unadulterated driving pleasure of a true-blue modern SUV.”
2020 Mahindra Thar's India launch has been scheduled for 2 October and the bookings will commence that day itself.